March 21, 2020 Comments Off on SmartBear Connect 2020 will be online!
I had the opportunity to meet a number of blog readers during the most recent SmartBear Connect. Many others who were unable to attend the event in person have reached out to me to request access to the advanced ReadyAPI and SoapUI training I provided that day.
If you’re interested in these topics, you should know that SmartBear has just announced that SmartBear Connect 2020 will be delivered virtually (in no small part thanks to the current COVID-19 lockdown). It’ll be taking place on April 27-28, 2020.
I’ll be making a presentation (details to follow soon) during that event. You can learn more here.
September 10, 2019 Comments Off on Speaking about best practices for testing Microservices at API World in October
If you’re going to be in the Bay Area in October, I invite you to join me at API World in San Jose. I’ll be giving a talk about applying hard-earned best practices from SOA and Web services to the exciting new world of microservices.
Here’s the abstract of what I’ll be presenting:
Microservices represent the next logical step in the evolution of distributed computing, rather than a complete break with the past. When implementing this type of fresh approach, it can be tempting to come up with an entirely new set of procedures for carrying out important tasks. While this is certainly helpful when these responsibilities haven‚ been encountered before, it‚ wise to avoid reinventing the wheel whenever possible.Fortunately, carrying out the vital job of ensuring that your microservices are highly reliable and performant can profit from well-established best practices and patterns for testing mission-critical distributed software assets. These have been utilized for more than 10 years, and have helped make the API era possible. All of these proven techniques can be invaluable to microservices designers, developers, and testers.In this thought-provoking event, we cover a number of practical, easily-applied guidelines that will serve you well as you develop and expand your microservices portfolio. These will include:
- Using automation to assist in attaining 100% code testing coverage
- Going beyond traditional unit testing to incorporate anticipated composition and orchestration into your quality assurance process
- Employing statistically significant quantities of meaningful data to fuel your tests
- Subjecting your microservices to realistic load volumes and geographically distributed consumers-
- Organizing and evolving your microservices testing inventory via effective governance.
You can learn more here.
March 31, 2019 Comments Off on Free REST API Security guide
If you’ve worked with both major varieties of API (Web services & REST) for any length of time, you’ll know that the approach to security varies widely between them. In the Web services world, there are numerous standards bodies and security guidelines, such as:
These are just a few examples of what’s out there.
Thanks to all of this ancillary work, a common (mis)perception has sprung up that Web services are more secure than REST APIs. While there’s a kernel of truth to this assumption, REST APIs now benefit from their own set of security standards and best practices. To give you a better idea of what these are, check out this helpful eBook on Dzone, written by Guy Levin, CTO of RestCase.
September 30, 2018 Comments Off on Advanced SoapUI Training Agenda at SmartBear Connect 2018
I’m looking forward to presenting a series of eight advanced SoapUI API testing talks at the upcoming SmartBear Connect conference in Boston on October 29. Here’s what I’ll be covering:
- Determining if your API is behaving properly requires examining the contents of the responses it returns. This session will showcase some of SoapUI’s most powerful message evaluation assertions.
- Automating your API tests means avoiding hard-coded, rigid message response evaluations. This session will teach you how you can apply flexibility when examining what your APIs return.
- Using XPath expressions in your SoapUI assertions offer tremendous productivity enhancements versus writing Groovy code. This session will show you how to create powerful and flexible XPath.
- Many applications incorporate multiple APIs. In this session, you’ll learn how to use the SoapUI data sources that enable feeding the output of one API to subsequent API calls.
- It’s important to use diverse data when testing your APIs. SoapUI includes robust data generation features, which we’ll explore in this session.
- Testing APIs means coping with ever-changing endpoints, security credentials, database connections, and so on. As you’ll learn in this session, SoapUI’s environments greatly simplify this vital responsibility.
- API testing responsibilities are often shared among multiple people. In this session, you’ll see how easy it is to utilize composite projects and Git to boost your teamwork.
- SmartBear continues to significantly improve SoapUI’s integration with the entire software development pipeline. This session will highlight just one example by demonstrating how to link your API testing efforts with Jenkins’ continuous integration/continuous delivery features.
July 31, 2018 Comments Off on Participate in SmartBear’s State of Testing Survey
SmartBear provides a highly useful, well-integrated set of software design, development, testing, and management solutions. Once again, they’re polling the marketplace to get feedback on how enterprises are testing their vital software resources.
It’s definitely worthwhile to participate in this survey, because it provides critical insights that helps guide product direction and thus deliver more accurately targeted tools to the market. We use the survey results as well when enhancing our ReadyAPI and SoapUI training classes. You can find the survey here.
April 30, 2018 Comments Off on Advanced SoapUI Pro training at SmartBear Connect!
SmartBear has just announced its second annual user conference, to be held in Boston on October 29 & 30. Training will be a big part of this year’s agenda. If you’re interested in strengthening your SoapUI Pro skills, you’ll want to stay tuned to this blog for more details about a whole day of hands-on advanced training that we’re planning to deliver.
January 30, 2018 Comments Off on Swagger Inspector from SmartBear: a very nice free online tool for testing APIs
SmartBear, makers of ReadyAPI (the most comprehensive and widely adopted Web service and REST API testing platform) have just released an excellent, free tool for carrying out quick and easy interactions with your API.
Swagger Inspector does a superb job of working with APIs (all HTTP methods are available), and it supports parameters, authentication & headers, and message payloads. It even generates OpenAPI documentation. If you’re designing, developing, testing, or simply using an API, you’ll want to check out this exciting new offering.