7 Essential questions to ask when creating technical marketing collateral
November 3, 2012 Comments Off on 7 Essential questions to ask when creating technical marketing collateral
A while back, I put together a list of five of the most typical technical marketing mistakes we see at Think88. Over the years, we’ve also observed that the most successful technical marketing collateral initiatives have a certain number of things in common. We’ve distilled this into a list of seven questions that we ask whenever we work with a client to start the ball rolling on one of these engagements. In fact, it’s a core part of our methodology. These questions include:
- How will this new material fit in with the company’s overall messaging and strategy?
- How will you present it to the market?
- Who are the targeted readers for it?
- Will other content refer to this material? Will this material refer to other content?
- What do you want the reader to do after they’ve finished reading this material?
- How will you measure and quantify its impact?
- Will the sales department be involved throughout the design and development process?
Going forward, I’ll be writing blog posts about each of these questions. In my opinion, the only way to succeed and justify the investment in time and money for new collateral is to have satisfactory answers to the above list.